Blog#11
Chapter 8
1. Yes, I think it is appropriate to speak of women in the 1920’s as “New Women”.
The women of the 1920’s reached farther into the political world than they had ever done before. With the right to vote, women continued to pursue activism in the political arena with organizations. Women also formed social organizations. The social aspect of the 1920’s created the most change for women, I believe. Styles were new, acceptable behavior for young women in terms of sexuality had changed. With the Flapper style, women took charge of their femininity and wore more revealing clothes and shorter hair. Their ideas of staying home changed and they spent more time in the public arena by engaging in more social activities.
2. Women in the 1920’s encountered so much difficulty accomplishing their political agenda’s because they had no real authority. Women also argued amongst themselves in terms of goals and the ways in which to go about achieving those goals. After the suffrage movement, and after the women won the right to vote, women began to unravel the threads that had tied them together and enabled them to get ahead under a common goal. Now, it was no longer about all women, but rather about personal and individual ideas that not all agreed upon. The fight to get ahead in terms of positions also created struggle and left women at odds with each other. With women divided, and common ideas seemingly defeated, women in the 1920’s had to fight just to keep afloat in the political arena.
3. Women during the Great Depression went back to traditional roles by caring for the home and family. You can see in this image that she is, at her best, the protector of her children, though she most likely does not provide material goods. Her children, being so close to her, allows us to see the forever important tie of mothers and children, and the bond that is created during times of great difficulty. They search her for some type of meaning though almost defeated. The struggle and pain the mother shows on her face tells us is she trying to hold on for them and is worried about the outcome of the depression.
4. The job loss during the Great Depression affected both genders but the men were more affected overall. Since men were still the main providers in terms of food, money and housing, the heavy burden of the losses fell on them. Emotionally, men felt a greater strain as their roles as great provider diminished. Men felt they had lost a part of their manhood and resented their feelings of inferiority to the women in their homes. This insecurity led some men to leave their wives because the mental and emotional strain had become too much. Men were failing and they didn’t know how to deal with that. Women on the other hand, were able to find work more easily than men when ‘women’s work’ became available again. This also stirred trouble since it didn’t seem fair that women could work and men could not. The tides had changes a little, but all suffered the results of the Great Depression.
Monday, May 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Reena's R#1: I do agree with Rachel on her response to question number 1 but I wish she mentioned in more detail as to what specifically women did politically. I do agree that with the flapper style women did take more charge of their sexuality and femininity. Also, with question number two it would have been much better if Rachel added why women started to disunify. I agree that there were differences after accomplishing so much on the state and national level but why did women become less active? I agree with Rachel about the immigrant mother about her trying to provide for her children, that she looks worried, and she has a good bond with her children with them so close to her, and leaning on her. I agree with Rachel on the last question that men were the sole providers for their family, and having to lose their jobs they must have felt like they lost their manhood. And with women being part of the work force and maybe having to compete with females for a job, that must have frustrated men even more. But like Rachel mentioned, men must have had the worst impact on the high unemployment rate because men are used to being the sole providers for the family and by them not being able to fulfill that role they must have been in a bad emotional state.
Aylin R#2
Hi Reena, I appreciate your honest response to Rachel’s blog entry as you wished she went in more detail on how women participated in political matters. I on the other hand think that she explained herself alright as she mentioned that ‘with the right to vote, women continued to pursue activism in the political arena with organizations,’ and as we’ve all read the book, we know that women did contribute to forming organizations and being active in politics. But then that’s my opinion because I can relate to her response as at times I don’t go too in dept with my answers because I feel that it’s too repetitive since we’ve read about it, talked about it, and had discussions in class, so I know once I mention that they were active members of the society and were engaging in political matters I know that my classmates understand what exact actions these women took and their contributions in voting, forming organizations, etc. I agree with your support on Rachel’s last response as I could understand how hard it was for the men to not be able to provide for the family and as you said they might have felt miserable because ‘it’s like they lost their manhood.’ Over all, great analysis of Rachel’s blog, and Rachel great job.
Post a Comment