Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Blog #1

Oh my goodness, keeping a blog is just like keeping a journal, which I usually hate. I will, however, learn to love this. Hello :) my name is Rachel, and I am a free spirit trapped in a world of constant demands that I somehow always manage to meet! I have been described by friends as sweet, fun, blunt, and loving. I see myself as strong, independent, constantly looking to grow, and always open to wherever, and with whomever, life is willing to take me.
Though most of my goals have changed over time, there are a few that have remained and will most likely remain for the rest of my life. One of those goals is to travel. I can not wait until I am able to live outside of the United States. A few of the places I hope to live in are Ireland, Egypt, and Mexico. To experience life within a completely different culture from my own is something I have dreamed about since I was a child.
A goal I wish to accomplish in the near future is completing my BA in English with an emphasis in creative writing at Cal State Northridge. I am transferring in the fall and am excited to pursue academia in a field that not only requires critical thinking and writing skills, but also an openness of the heart. You must love what you do!
My transition from high school to college was interesting because I started attending GCC when I was 16 years old. I attended an Independent Study Charter school in order to attain my high school diploma. I didn’t have a teacher, and my high school was located in a shopping center next to a Weight Watchers and a Subway! I always laugh when I drive by there :). I only went to “school” twice a week for one hour in which I was tested on the subjects I taught myself at home through books and work packets. Since I had to work independently and learn on my own, I was forced to find my own motivation. After taking a break from school, I went back to GCC and found it very difficult to be a full time student, where I was forced to sit in a classroom and be dependent on others in order to complete my work. I now however, have gotten used to school again and I am enjoying myself.
Working in groups can be a lot of fun, or a pain in the ass. Usually they are fun, as long as everyone is willing to do their own fair share of work. I love getting new ideas and great feedback out of group work, and it’s always fun to chat with classmates. I think I’m a great person to work with because I know how to work and how to play.
I am motivated most by the goals I have set for the future. One goal is always just a stepping stone to the next, but it keeps me going and helps me to stay focused.
I admit I am not the most organized person and as most unorganized people will say, “there is a method to my madness”. This really is true however! I do keep separate notebooks for each class, but I don’t keep a planner. Instead I mark off the things I have completed and keep track of those I have yet to do by simply going over the syllabus. It’s as simple as that! I look ahead to figure out how I might manage my time in the coming weeks and try to plan accordingly. Okay, honestly that was a lie. I really don’t manage my time all too well, and I am always rushing, but it is something I am working on! Geez, this whole blog thing sure will be interesting :).

2 comments:

Tyler said...

Tyler R#2

Hi Rachel! It sounds like you have experienced a lot in your past that has helped you grow and learn. I share the same fondness and goal in traveling as you do. I was fortunet enough to travel to Europe when I was twelve, but it really didn't leave me with many memories since that trip was almost eight years ago now. I hope you do get to experience other cultures in your near future. I believe that doing so gives us such a different outlook on our own culture.
I love how honest you were about your time managment! Being a student and working is so tough on anyone and really, who can manage their time in an orderly fashion and plan ahead?! It take a lot. But if you don't procrastinate and know what you need to get done and by when I think it'll work out.
Good luck at CSUN! Maybe I'll see you there next Spring!

Ruba said...

Ruba, R# 2
Hi Rachel,
Traveling is one of the most amazing things, I think, we could experience. I believe many people share the love for traveling and wish they could do it more often. Egypt is one of the countries I would love to visit one day too, and hopefully will.
Being born and raised outside of the U.S I can tell you this much, living in any of those countries you mentioned would be a great experience. People are a lot more relaxed. They spend less time working and more time enjoying their lives.
I agree with the fact that you must love what you do. This Quote makes all the sense in the world “find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life”